Philippine President Signed Program for Disabled Persons in Every Province, Cities and Municipalities
Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has signed Republic Act 10070, a law establishing the institutional mechanism to ensure the implementation of programs and services for persons with disabilities (PWDs) in every province, city and municipality, as envisioned by RA 7277 or the Magna Carta for Disabled Persons.
The law, signed last April 6, promotes the creation of organizations of PWDs in their respective territorial jurisdictions. National agencies and local government units may enter into joint ventures with organizations or associations of PWDs to explore livelihood opportunities and other undertakings that shall enhance the health, physical fitness and economic and social well-being of PWDs.
The law mandates the creation of Persons with Disability Affairs Office [PDAO] in every province, city and municipality with the local chief executive appointing a PWD affairs officer to manage and oversee the operations of the office. Priority shall be given to a qualified PWD to head and man the office in carrying out the following functions:
- Formulate and implement policies, plans and programs for the promotion of the welfare of PWDs in coordination with concerned national and local government agencies.
- Coordinate the implementation of this Act, Batas Pambansa Blg. 344 or the Accessibility Law and other relevant laws at the local level.
- Represent PWDs in meetings of local development councils and other special bodies.
- Recommend and enjoin the participation of NGOs and people’s organizations (POs) in the implementation of
disability-related laws and policies.
- Gather and compile relevant data on PWDs in their localities.
- Disseminate information including programs and activities for PWDs, statistics on PWDs, including children with disability and training and employment opportunities for PWDs.
- Submit reports to the office of the local chief executive on the implementation of programs and services for the promotion of the welfare of PWDs in their respective areas of jurisdiction.
- Ensure that the policies, plans and programs for the promotion of the welfare of PWDs are funded by both the national and local government.
- Monitor fundraising activities being conducted for the benefit of PWDs.
- Seek donations in cash or kind from local or foreign donors to implement an approved work plan for PWDs in accordance with existing laws and regulations.
- Perform such other functions as may be necessary for the promotion and protection of the welfare of PWDs.
Within three years from the effectivity of this Act, appropriate agencies headed by the Department of Social Welfare and Development, in consultation with the National Council on Disability Affairs and other relevant NGOs and POs shall review the implementation and recommend to Congress the need to mandate the establishment of a PDAO in 4th, 5th and 6th class municipalities.
The national government, through the DSWD, shall ensure that the annual budget includes provisions to fund programs and provide support to PWDs. Local governments shall ensure that the necessary funds from any available local revenue are allocated for the implementation of this Act for the benefit of PWDs.
This very important law for PWDs did not create any buzz in the national arena. This might be because the people are more focused on the last elections. However, this will be very exciting for us because the local government units will not take us for granted anymore. They must create their own special office which caters purely on the needs and assistance for Persons With Disabilities. I hope that this won’t be just another flash in a pan.
American Sign Language Barack Obama Bible Institute for the Deaf CAP College Foundation Catholic Ministry to Deaf People Cebu Pacific Cebu Pacific discrimination closed caption cochlear implant Davao City Deaf Culture deaf discrimination deaf education deaf horror video Department of Education Department of Foreign Affairs Dinig Sana Kita disability Ervin Reyes facebook Filipino Filipino Sign Language Grace Padaca Hearing Hearing impairment Heather Whitestone Jefferson Cortez Jerome Marzan Job Fair Jojo Esposa Julius Andrada Language interpretation Liliane Foundation Philippines Magna Carta for the Disabled Persons Makati City Manila Manila Christian Computer Institute for the Deaf Marlee Matlin May Andrada MCCID MCCID College Mike Sandejas Mirana Medina Moises Libot National Council on Disability Affairs NCDA Philippine Philippine Blog Awards Philippine Daily Inquirer Philippine Federation of the Deaf Philippine National Association of Sign Language Interpreters Philippine Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf Philippines Philippine School for the Deaf Philippine Web Accessibility Group Philippine Web Designers Organization PWAG PWEDO Quezon City RA 9442 Raquel Corpuz Raul Pangalangan Renato Corona Roberto Salva Romalito Mallari Sandi Patty San Mateo Rizal Sign Language sign language interpreter Silent Odyssey Special Education Teddy Casino Therese Bustos UN CRPD Web Accessibility
Book I wrote
How I group my posts
- Anything Filipino
- Deaf Culture
- Deaf Experiences
- Deaf Video
- Discrimination Issues
- Famous Disabled Filipino
- Famous Filipino Deaf
- Filipino Sign Language
- Hello from Me
- Interpreting Issues
- Laws on Disability
- Notable Filipino Deaf
- Notable Filipino Deaf Institution
- Notable Filipino Helping the Deaf
- Sensitivity Trainings
- Sign Language
- sign language interpreting
- Special Announcements
- Web Accessibility
- Web Designing
- 411,536 hits
- RT @officialaldub16: Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh may kiiisssssssssssss #DTBYSetUp 6 days ago
- RT @MochaUson: Wala ba kayong napapansin mga kaDDS ang daming kaganapan sa state visit ni PRRD pero ang MMedia walang good news sa trip? #B… 1 week ago
- RT @TropALDUB: Happy #ALDUB91stWeeksary 💑❤ Tweet🐦 @ALDUBHashtagSQ @AlDubBigBoyz @yodabuda @AIFam16 @ALDUBNation @OFCALDubKoTo @ALDubFTnQT @… 2 weeks ago
- RT @pagkalaagan: Tweet count as of April 12, 7:10PM for #DTBYBantay is 78,511 tweets. Remaining: -921,489 tweets 2 weeks ago
- RT @tontoncontreras: Please tweet #PalitBiseRally! Let's send Leni Robredo a message that her time is up. 3 weeks ago
"Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God, I am the Lord." - Leviticus 19:14
Arnel tantay on Free hearing aids! sherwin on List of cities and provinces i… Jennie Ann Quilala on Special Job Fair for Filipino… Michelle on On Cochlear Implants and 3rd W… jojomccid on Common misconceptions when hir… joan on Common misconceptions when hir… shiela donesa on DTI Approves 5% Discount for P… Daddy Mike on Special Job Fair for Filipino… Julie ann alvarez on Special Job Fair for Filipino… Evelyn T. Arago on List of cities and provinces i…
- Yay! First 400,000th Visits
- 1st Deaf Festival in Baguio City
- Join us! Bring Filipino Sign Language to the public schools!
- Consultative Forum of SL Interpreters on January 9
- Philippine Census Leaves PWD Count
- Survey for Filipino Interpreters
- Yay! First 350,000th Visits!
- Deaf People and MRT
- Empowered Deaf Tricycle Driver!
- Perils of being a sign language interpreter in the PH
- Filipina Deaf Passes the National Teacher’s Exam
- Deaf teen deemed ‘medically inadmissible’ to join mother in Canada
- MCCID scholarship exam on March 24
- Yay! First 320,000 Visits!
- Filipino Deaf Candidate asked to resign from Beauty Contest