Are you a sign language interpreter, a student of sign language, an ally-advocate of the Deaf community, or just curious about what it takes to be a sign language interpreter? We know you want to improve your skills in sign language interpreting and hopefully build a career as a sign language interpreter.
As part of this year’s celebration of International Day of Sign Languages, the Philippine National Association of Sign Language Interpreters (PNASLI) created an online event just for you. Dubbed, QUARANTERPS RISE UP Sign Language Interpreters e-Conference and Workshop 2020, this activity
is centered not just on skills but on the core fundamentals of being a sign language interpreter.
The event will be held on September 23-25, via Facebook Group and September 26 via ZOOM. It will happen right at the comfort of your own homes. It is timely also that during this time we also celebrate the International Week of the Deaf.
Topics to be presented in the 4-day e-conference together with their respective facilitators are as follows,
Day 1 – September 23 (Wednesday)
- Developing Signs for COVID-19 Terms – Yvette Apurado
- Knowing Filipino Sign Language Law – Dr. Liza Martinez
- Discoring the History of Sign Interpreting in the Philippines – Febe Sevilla
- Profiling Filipino Sign Language Interpreters – John Xandre Baliza
- Deaf Relay Interpreters – Marites Raquel Corpuz
Day 2 – September 24 (Thursday)
- Interpreter’s Role Shifting Skills – Jeffery Bowden
- Message Analysis Skills – Bayani Generoso
- Voice Interpreting Skills – Nick Templo-Perez
- Signed Song Performance Skills – Ace Dela Pena
Day 3 – September 25 (Friday)
- Seeking Out Interpreter Mentors – Mike McMillion
- Examining Interpreter’s Work with Authenticity – William F. Ross III
- Understanding the Language of the Church vis-a-vis the Language of the Deaf – Michael Jose Autencio
- Above Anxiety: Coping in the New Normal – Elmer Mores
Day 4 – September 26 (Saturday)
- Role Shifting Skills – Jeff Bowden
- Self-Monitoring Skills – Bayani Generoso
- Making Ethical Interpreter Decisions – Naty Natividad
- News Interpreting Skills – Junjun Sevilla
- Signed Song Interpretation Skills – Ace Dela Pena
Although the e-conference is a paid event, you may click HERE to join for the FREE PASS via Facebook Group and via Zoom only on September 26. However, Here is the Rise Up Plan for the investment fee.
You may send your investment fee through these options:
OPTION 1: BANK
Deposit the amount to:
BPI Family Savings Bank
Savings Account Name: Philippine National Association of Sign Language Interpreters, Inc.
Savings Account Number 5273-3516-73
OPTION 2: GCASH
GCash number 0915 591 0124
c/o PNASLI Treasurer Junjun Sevilla
OPTION 3: PAYPAL
REGISTER ON THIS EVENT BY CLICKING ON THIS LINK => https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSda5Wqex1eXMp9nDOpl4v6q2cT9N66BrT3Biwv0jUZSdV1fYA/viewform
To know more about the event and other details, please go to their official website at
QuaranTerps Rise Up
At a time when we are being QUARANTINED,
you’re a hero for choosing to RISE UP!